A no-bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake dessert recipe made with the 2020 Fan Favorite Benton’s Peanut Butter Filled Cookies from ALDI covered in chocolate fudge, creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, whipped topping and drizzled with chocolate.
In Partnership with ALDI
Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake Recipe
Why bother to bake when you can whip up this easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake in minutes? Just layer peanut butter filled chocolate fudge cookies and the peanut butter cream cheese mixture in a baking pan, place it into your fridge and you’ll have a delicious chocolate peanut butter dessert without using your oven at all.
This decadent twist on the traditional icebox cake recipe tastes like a cheesecake, peanut butter ice cream, crunchy cookies and chocolate cake all combined into one!
I dare you to be able to resist a slice of this cake… nobody in my family could. We gobbled it all down! I’m excited to partner with ALDI to bring you this incredible recipe.
Why is it Called an Icebox Cake?
Have you ever wondered why this recipe is called an icebox cake? It was first introduced as an easy dessert for housewives to prepare in the 1930’s when American companies began promoting a new kitchen appliance, called an icebox.
Similar to the English trifle, the new American dish called an icebox cake or “fridge cake” became a household name throughout America.
How to Make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
To make this amazing Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake, you’ll need only a few ingredients. I made it a point to shop for my recipe ingredients at ALDI, because of their famous peanut butter cookies.
ALDI is my go-to grocery store here in Texas! I love their line of cookies, signature products, fresh produce, and best of all, their low prices.
If you haven’t visited an ALDI yet, check out my fun ALDI Haul video here where I shared shopping hacks and our favorite ADLI products!
No Bake Peanut Butter Icebox Cake Ingredients from ALDI
- Benton’s Peanut Butter Filled Cookies – These cookies are well-known as an ALDI fan favorite! A crunchy cookie with a creamy peanut butter middle covered in chocolate fudge. They taste just like the national brand, but they are less expensive, and you can get them all year round at ALDI.
- Simply Nature Organic Creamy Peanut Butter – I chose this delicious natural peanut butter because it contains just two ingredients: peanuts and sea salt. Because this peanut butter fridge cake recipe needs sugar, I didn’t want a peanut butter that already had sugar added.
- Happy Farms Cream Cheese – Happy Farms cream cheese is full of flavor and excellent for a box cake dessert recipe!
- Friendly Farms Whipped Topping – Creamy whipped topping is a must-get when making an icebox dessert!
- Berryhill Chocolate Syrup – This chocolate syrup tastes a bit like dark chocolate to me and is a great topping that flavor blends well with the sweet cookies and cream cheese mixture.
–> CLICK HERE to find an ALDI store near you. If you don’t have one where you live, substitute ingredients with similar items at your local grocery store.
How to Assemble an Icebox Cake
STEP 1: With a knife, coarsely chop 14 cookies. Sprinkle the chopped cookies into the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan for the first layer.
STEP 2: Beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Stir the cool whip into the mixture with a spoon.
STEP 3: Add half of the peanut butter mixture over the cookies in the pan. Spread around to coat the cookies evenly.
STEP 4: Add another layer of cookies. You don’t need to cut these up.
STEP 5: Spread the rest of the peanut butter mixture over the cookies.
You can stop here or add an extra layer of whipped topping. Depending on the type of whipped topping you use, it could melt if not frozen.
Can You Freeze an Icebox Cake?
Is the icebox cake only for the refrigerator or can you freeze it? Actually, you can do either one! Most icebox cakes are meant to be stored in the fridge.
For this recipe, I placed my prepared dessert into the freezer to have a more frozen dessert similar to ice cream. Plus, the whipped topping stayed nice and firm this way.
How Long Can You Freeze Icebox Cake?
If you chill in the refrigerator and have leftovers, you can cover the icebox cake in foil and freeze it for up to a month. Defrost overnight or for 30-60 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
I hope you enjoy this amazing cake! -> Find an ALDI store near you.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- 24 cookies Benton’s Peanut Butter Filled Cookies 2 packages of cookies
For the peanut butter mixture layer:
- 8 ounces Happy Farms Cream Cheese
- ¾ cup Simply Nature Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Friendly Farms Whipped Topping thawed
- 8 ounces Friendly Farms Whipped Topping thawed (optional)
- ¼ cup Berryhill Chocolate Sauce for drizzle
- With a knife, coarsely chop 14 cookies. Sprinkle the chopped cookies into the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan for the first layer. Make sure the bottom of the pan is not showing.
- With a mixer, beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Stir the cool whip into the mixture with a spoon.
- Add half of the peanut butter mixture over the cookies in the pan. Spread around to coat the cookies evenly.
- Add another layer of cookies. You don’t need to cut these up.
- Spread the rest of the peanut butter mixture over the cookies.
- You can stop here or add an extra layer of whipped topping. Depending on the type of whipped topping you use, it could melt if not frozen. If that happens, chill in the freezer vs the refrigerator.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- Before serving, slice and drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with a cookie.
You’ll also love these no-bake Desserts:
- Chocolate OREO Cheesecake Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Protein Bars
- Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake
- Oreo Cake Balls
- Mickey & Minnie Mouse Christmas Cookies
- 5 Ingredient Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Unicorn Rainbow Dessert Lasagna