This easy Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake is a fun no bake chocolate cake idea for boys, men or any teenager! Birthday cake ideas made with Walmart cakes and gift cards.
Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae Birthday Cake
It’s been a tradition for the past few years to make an Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake for my son’s birthday.
This year he wanted a brownie sundae for his birthday, but I think this Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake turned out even better than what he was imagining!
If you’re looking for a unique birthday cake idea for a teenager, this is a good one and so easy!
Because my son’s birthday is right after Christmas, and it’s when my daughter and I take our annual girl trip, I don’t have a lot of time to bake or plan a big birthday party.
The fun part for me, is to find store bought items such as pre-baked cakes, desserts and candy to decorate a unique birthday cake. Making it all come together to look like a hot fudge sundae was a fun challenge!
Easy Birthday Cake Idea for a Teenager
This year, Jack turned 17, got his drivers license and grew about 3 more inches. I can’t get over how much he has changed in the past few years. Isn’t he so handsome?
My kids are what gave me the inspiration to start blogging way back in 2009. Jack has grown up on my blog. It’s fun to look back at all of my old blog posts featuring him. So many fond memories!
Here are just a few of my all time favorite articles where Jack is the star! Now that he’s practically grown, these are even more special to read.
While writing this, I have been laughing so hard at a few of the posts above! This boy is so funny, he still cracks me up! I’m very lucky to be his mom.
Fun Way to Give Gift Cards – On a Cake!
I love finding fun ways to give money or gift cards. Like me, my teenage son is a chocolate freak, but he also needs money for gas and food. I thought it would be fun to combine the two.
Ta da… Introducing the gift card birthday cake made from Walmart cakes. It was a huge hit!
Buying a cake from your local bakery and decorating it extra fun can make a birthday super special with very little time or mess.
I’m all for less mess especially right after the holidays!
How to Make an Incredibly Easy Chocolate Birthday Cake
Easy chocolate desserts are my favorite and this is one of the simplest cakes you can make for a birthday party.
My goal was to make a cake that looked like a hot fudge brownie sundae with store bought cakes, candy and desserts.
Tips for decorating a birthday cake with store bought desserts
1. Don’t limit yourself to just ONE cake.
At Walmart, I found the best looking cakes that were decorated the same, but different flavors and sizes. When I saw them, stacking them made all the sense in the world.
If you plan to stack cakes, look for an 8″ or 10” cake first, then see what else you can find that is smaller.
2. Don’t worry much about how the cake looks.
What it looks like doesn’t matter, you’ll just be covering most of it up with cookies or chocolate sauce. You can also scrape off any unwanted flowers or other decorations that don’t work for you.
3. Look for desserts that the birthday boy or girl loves.
Surprising them with their favorite treats is always a hit!
4. Get creative with balloons or gift cards.
The gift cards were an added bonus that I LOVE! I taped them to paper straws to insert into the cake.
5. Anchor the cake with skewers or straws if you plan to stack desserts.
When you start stacking desserts high onto a cake, the whole thing can get wobbly. You don’t want the cake to tumble over, so finding something to hold it all together is very important.
For my anchor, I used a balloon found in my grocery store’s floral department. The plastic stick was too long for my cake, so I detached it and added the balloon to a straw instead. It worked great!
Here’s the stash of desserts I bought for Jack’s birthday cake. I didn’t use it all, but sure tried!
I personally LOVE magic shell sauce and needed something to make it look like a hot fudge brownie sundae.
You can certainly try hot fudge sauce if you prefer. Canned hot fudge is very thick and I was worried it would melt the cake if I heated it up to pour.
I wasn’t sure if Magic Shell chocolate sauce would work on the cake, but it turned out great and made it all smell even more amazing!
You Might Also Like These Cake Recipes:
- Best Princess Birthday Cakes
- Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Easy How To Train Your Dragon Cake
- Best Birthday Pull Apart Cupcake Cakes
- Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake
How to Make a No Bake Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake
Happy Birthday Jack! I hope you find his hot fudge sundae cake full of inspiration for someone special in your life.
Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake
What You’ll Need For the Cake
- 1 6” cake
- 1 8” or 10" cake
- 4 Large brownies
- 12 Chocolate chip cookies
- 5 oz Skippy P.B. Bites
- ½ cup Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce
- ¼ cup M&M’s Minis chocolate candy
- 1 cup Butter cream frosting
- In a mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth for about 3 minutes.
- Add the confectioner's sugar, then mix another minute.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of salt and milk until frosting has reached the preferred consistency.?Place into the freezer until ready to decorate cake.
Cake Decorating Directions
- Place your largest cake onto a cake stand. Carefully place the smaller cake on top of the larger one.
- Decorate the bottom layers of the cake. You can add cookies and candy around the cake.
- Stack brownies on the top of the cake.
- Remove frosting from freezer and use an ice cream scooper to scoop out a large scoop. Place on the top of the cake to look like ice cream.
- Shake the magic shell bottle well. Test that it comes out nice and smooth, then pour over the frosting and sides of cake.
- Anchor the cake in place by gently pushing a skewer or straw into the top of the frosting and down through the first cake. Remove before serving the cake.
- Place mini M&M’s onto the chocolate sauce.
- Add gift cards attached to paper straws, candles or a floral balloon and enjoy!
More amazing cakes to try:
- Funfetti Graduation Cupcakes
- Cherry Coke Chocolate Cupcakes
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Fresh Blackberry Cake
- Amazing Lego Cakes
- 10 Creative Cake Pops for a Summer Party
- Easy Key Lime Shortcake
- Beautiful Floral Cakes
- The Best Emoji Party Cakes
- 5 Awesome Birthday Party Cakes
Originally published on January 12, 2020. Last Updated on January 14, 2020 by Amy Locurto