Make the Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake in minutes with this easy no-bake dessert idea! A fun semi-homemade cake no chocolate lover could resist.
Looking for a fun Chocolate birthday cake idea that’s easy to make? This simple chocolate cake is perfect for a last-minute party idea.
The Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake
Make the ultimate cake with a ready-made chocolate cake and decorate it with your favorite chocolate treats and cookies.
My son loves chocolate, so for his 16th birthday, I wanted to go all out with his favorite things. His birthday is right after Christmas, which is usually a busy time when I don’t have a lot of time to party plan or bake a cake.
Easy Chocolate Cake for a 16th Birthday Party
After I shared this cake on my Instagram story, so many of you sent me the sweetest messages! Turns out, a lot of chocoholics would love a cake like this.
You only turn 16 once and I think the cake turned out super cute. It definitely became the ultimate chocolate birthday cake!
How Do I Make a Unique Cake When I am Short on Time?
Buying a cake from our local bakery was the quickest thing I could do. But it wasn’t that exciting looking. That’s when I went looking around for some chocolate treats that would be perfect for decorating his cake. Adding a few treats to a plain store-bought cake makes it unique and fun.
The birthday boy loved his cake and I had so much fun making it! It truly took longer to unwrap the treats than it did to decorate with them. I can’t believe he’s 16!
What Do I Need to Decorate a Store Bought Chocolate Cake For a Birthday?
- 2-4 Wooden skewers
- Any non-edible decoration you want to add such as candles or a balloon.
- Cookies–any variety. I used chocolate chip, but decorated sugar cookies would be cute!
- Pocky sticks
- Oreo cookies
- Chocolate candy bars
- M&Ms candy
- Any favorite treat will turn this plain dessert into the ultimate chocolate birthday cake!
How Do I Make the Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake?
I love making easy chocolate desserts and this is one of the easiest cakes ever!
Start with a 10″ round chocolate cake. I bought one from the local grocery store bakery, but you could certainly make one.
If you have more time and want to bake your cake, check out this amazing chocolate cake recipe.
Don’t worry about how the cake looks, because you’ll just be covering it with goodies.
What Do I Use To Decorate a Chocolate Cake For a Birthday?
You want your dessert to be the ultimate cake for the birthday girl or guy. Choose their favorite treats and start decorating. My son loves chocolate and so I used all his favorite chocolate treats.
Don’t worry about calories… they don’t count on birthdays, right? Ha!
If You Like Chocolate, You’ll Love These Unique Chocolate Recipes:
- Better Than ANYTHING Chocolate Cake
- Unicorn White Chocolate Toffee
- Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Chocolate OREO Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Crockpot White Hot Chocolate 3 Ways
For a quick and inexpensive cake, I thought it turned out so amazing! I hope you enjoy this simple but unique cake idea!
If you love chocolate as much as my family, click here to follow my Chocolate Recipes board on Pinterest.
Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake
- 1 10″ Round Chocolate Cake with chocolate frosting
- 12 Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8-10 OREO cookies
- 3 M&M Brownies
- 2-4 Hostess Cupcakes
- 5 Chocolate Donuts
- 2 Reese’s candy
- 5 Pocky candy
- 2-4 Wooden Skewers
- Gently scrape off a bit of chocolate frosting from the cake and place it on a plate to use as glue to hold the cookies and candy together.
- Start by adding a cupcake and press brownies and cookies around it into the cake to hold in place.
- Add 3 chocolate donuts to a skewer and place into cake.
- Add a cupcake and brownie to another skewer and place into cake.
- Stack OREO cookies in various spots using frosting to hold each one together.
- Decorate the rest of the cake top with additional treats and Pocky candy.
- Attach cookies around the edge of the cake.
- Decorate with a cake balloon and candles. Enjoy!
More amazingly chocolate desserts you’ll love:
- Softest Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- OREO Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Protein Bars
- Homemade Rolo Chocolate Ice Cream
Originally published January 7, 2019 – Updated July 2021