An easy Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake that will bring back childhood memories! This classic homemade pineapple upside down cake recipe is combined with vanilla ice cream for the perfect summer ice box cake.
Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake
This easy Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake is the perfect summer treat! We all know that pineapple upside down cake is amazing when served with vanilla ice cream. So why not combine the two for an even more fabulous cake?
Enjoy this delicious and easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe with a twist. Thanks to Divian for contributing this delicious classic summer dessert!
Just Like Mom’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake
When I was growing up, every week my mother would make some kind of amazing cake. We would come home from school, my dad from work and we would have dinner and dessert as a family. I remember it all so clear and each time I do, I smile.
While mom made a host of different cakes, one of our favorite cake recipes that she made definitely stands out to me the most… her pineapple upside down cake! I can still see her pulling out her huge rectangular baking pan, covering a piece of cardboard in aluminum foil and turning that cake upside down. It was amazing.
How to Make a Classic Pineapple Cake from Scratch
I had not eaten a pineapple cake in years, but when I made this fun version of mom’s recipe with ice cream for summer, it brought back so many wonderful memories.
Adding vanilla ice cream is a simple twist to create a Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake! I’m a firm believer that nothing makes cake better than a nice scoop of ice cream! Something about the butteriness of the cake, paired with ice cream makes it so much more delicious.
With this recipe, we combine ice cream as a layer with the cake. What better way to enjoy a childhood memory!
Originally Published on September 2, 2014
Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
First of all, you’ll need two 9″ spring form cake pans to make this cake.
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- Pineapple Juice
- vegetable oil
- butter, melted
- brown sugar
- Pineapple slices or crushed pineapple
- Maraschino Cherries
Vanilla Ice Cream
Let’s Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
For the pineapple cake, mix all dry ingredients and then add in your wet ingredients. Mix well.
In one 9 inch pan spring form pan, spread brown sugar evenly to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour your melted butter over it.
Top with pineapple slices and then the cherries.
Pour the cake cake batter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until top springs back at the touch. You can also stick in a toothpick to check if it is ready. If it comes out clean, it is done!
Allow the cake to cool inside the spring form pan and spray another cake pan with nonstick spray. Pour in your remaining batter and bake until done. Allow both layers to cool completely.
With a cup full of warm water, place your spatula in the warm water. Let your ice cream sit until it is slightly softened. Begin spreading ice cream on your pineapple/cherry layer of cake while in the spring form pan. The spring form pan will help the ice cream stay in place.
How long should I freeze this cake?
Freeze your cake until the ice cream is firm about 15-30 minutes per layer.
Start with the first layer, then remove from freezer and top with the second layer of cake and freeze until ready to serve. After placing all the layers, allow Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake to completely freeze before slicing and serving.
How to Get Pineapple Upside Down Cake Out of the Pan
Place your cake stand upside down on top of your spring form pan, flip it over, remove the spring form and voila! Since this cake is frozen, dip a knife in warm water to make slicing easier.
If you love pineapple and ice cream, try these easy recipes:
- Healthy Fruit Salsa
- Pineapple Sangria Recipe
- Pineapple Jalapeno Margarita
- Easy Frosted Lemonade Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- Passion Fruit Rum Punch
- Frozen Pineapple Strawberry Margarita
- 20 Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream Cake
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup butter, softened (one stick)
- ½ cup butter, melted (one stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pineapple slices or crushed pineapple
- 2 tbsp Maraschino cherries
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cake, mix all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, then add in your wet ingredients. Mix well.
- You will need two 9″ springform pans.
- In the first pan, spread brown sugar evenly to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour your melted butter over it. Top with pineapple and cherries.
- Pour in half of the cake batter.
- Spray another cake pan with nonstick spray. Pour in your remaining batter and bake until done.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until top of cake springs back at the touch.
- Allow the cake to cool inside the spring form pans completely before adding layer of ice cream.
- Let your ice cream sit until it is slightly softened.
- Place a spatula in a cup full of warm water.
- While the cake is still in the pan, spread ice cream onto the pineapple/cherry layer of cake using the spatula, dipping continuously to help smooth out the ice cream. The spring form pan will help the ice cream stay in place.
- Freeze this cake layer until ice cream is firm. About 15-30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and top with the second layer of cake.
- Place your cake stand upside down on top of your spring form pan, flip it over, remove spring form and you’re done!
- After placing all the layers, allow cake to completely freeze before slicing and serving.
You might also love these delicious Summer Recipes!
Strawberry Pineapple Mango Fruit Salsa in Orange Bowls
Here are more of my favorite Pineapple Recipes:
Just wondering the pineapple upside down ice cream cake says 1 1/2 cups of sugar for cake part twice is it 3 cups total or just 1 1/2 cups