Last updated on July 23rd, 2013 at 03:32 pm
Oh yum! This is the most fabulous cake. I made several cakes and finally came up with a version that I LOVE enough to share. Enjoy!!
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups sugar (split)
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon instant pudding mix
- 1 cup of milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour three round 8-inch cake pans and set aside. (I use baking spray with flour.)
2. Mix 1/4 of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and blackberries in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine flour, pudding mix and salt in a small mixing bowl.
4. Beat butter or margarine with a mixer at medium speed until it’s whipped and fluffy.
5. Add the remaining sugar (2 cups) and vanilla, beat well.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7. Add dry flour mixture and milk alternately, beating on low speed after each addition.
8. Place berries in cake pan.
9. Pour batter over the berries and lighting swirl with a spoon.
10. Lightly tap the cake pan on the counter until the batter has spread in the entire pan.
11. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
12. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans.
When cake is completely cool, stack layers and ice the cake with butter cream icing.
Print the recipe and save in a 3 ring binder: