You’ll love this easy How To Train Your Dragon Cake tutorial! Learn how to make a delicious white cake recipe for a Night Fury or Light Fury dragon cake. A perfect cake for a birthday party or special occasion.
Sponsored by Universal Pictures
The Cutest How To Train Your Dragon Cake Recipes!
Looking for a fun How to Train Your Dragon Cake for a birthday party or other special celebration? Then you’re going to love how easy these dragon cakes are to make with this fluffy white cake and buttercream frosting recipe!
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is in theaters and I’m excited to share how I easily turned Toothless, the Night Fury dragon and his new friend, Light Fury, into adorable cakes. Make one cake or both, either way they’ll turn out to be the cutest cakes for any party!
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
If you’ve never seen these films, be sure to get caught up the first two, because they are super cute! In How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World , Hiccup is the Viking chief and ruler of Berk. He created a gloriously chaotic dragon utopia along with his fearsome Night Fury dragon, Toothless.
When the sudden appearance of female Light Fury coincides with the darkest threat their village has ever faced, Hiccup and Toothless must leave the only home they’ve known and journey to a hidden world thought only to exist in myth.
How To Train Your Dragon Cake Tutorial
The secret to making a How to Train Your Dragon cake is to use my printables! I spent a long time designing printables that would work just right for a small cake. I wanted to turn both dragons into cakes, so I used 5″ round cake pans. Click here for a 5″ round cake pan.
For these printables to work perfectly, I suggest a 5″-6″ cake pan. You can make one cake, but they sure look cute when you have both the white and black dragons together!
How To Make Dragon Cake Printables
First, download and print these dragon cake printables in the link below (scroll down). Once you have printed and cut them out, start by hot gluing 1/2 inch cut paper straws onto the back of the eyes.
I used toothpicks to attach the other dragon parts into my cake.
IMPORTANT: When the paper touches the buttercream frosting, it can make the paper greasy. When inserting your printables into the cake, try leaving a gap between the paper and the cake if possible. I suggest not adding the printables until right before you are ready to serve the cake.
Toothless is black, so if the frosting touches the black paper, you can’t see any residue. Isn’t he cute?
I love how pretty the Light Fury cake turned out!
Make sure your printables do not touch the white dragon cake, because you will have some of the frosting soak into the white paper. My fluffy white cake recipe is perfect for this dragon!
I hope you enjoy these adorable How To Train Your Dragon cake tutorials!
Scroll down to print the White Cake and White Buttercream Frosting recipes. Be sure to go see How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World!
Download the How to Train Your Dragon Cake Printables
Each printable design is meant to be used on a three layered 5″ round cake. A 6″ round cake will work fine as well. Click here for a 5″ round cake pan.
CLICK HERE to Download the How to Train Your Dragon Cake Printables.
How to Train Your Dragon White Cake Recipe
White Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line three 5” or 6” inch cake pans with parchment paper. (I used 5 inch for my dragon cakes)
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and almond extract together in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a mixer, gently combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Add butter and mix on low until you get a crumbly texture.
- Add the liquid mixture a small portion at a time and mix until light and fluffy.
- Pour the batter evenly into each cake pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. You don’t want to over bake! Check at 15-20 minutes to test if it’s done by placing a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pans.
- In a mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth for about 3 minutes.
- Add the confectioner's sugar 1/2 a cup at a time then mix another minute.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of salt and milk until frosting has reached the preferred consistency.
- If making the Night Fury cake, mix in black food gel a few drops at a time until you get the desired color.
Assembling the Cake
- Make the top of the cakes even by using a serrated knife and cutting the cake top to level the surface.
- Place bottom cake layer on a cake turntable or cake board and spread frosting to the top. Repeat until entire cake is assembled.
- Complete frosting the cake by adding one thin layer all over and placing cake into the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Then add the final layer of frosting.
- Add the How to Train Your Dragon printables into the cake as shown for the dragon.
Watch How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World trailer.