This make-ahead Swiss and Ham Overnight Breakfast Strata is an easy breakfast or brunch recipe that will save you time in the kitchen. Your guests and family will love this gourmet version of a ham casserole!
Easy Overnight Breakfast Strata Recipe
This delicious make-ahead Swiss and Ham Overnight Breakfast Strata will save you so much time in the kitchen. When I have guests or hosting a brunch, I love any kind of overnight breakfast recipes!
With holidays such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas many people look forward to making plans to gather with family and friends. If you’re the one cooking, there’s no need to fuss over a big ham in the oven on early mornings. Make this delicious Swiss and ham overnight breakfast strata recipe the night before and pop it into the oven an hour before your gathering starts.
Guests will love this gourmet version of a ham casserole and won’t miss the big holiday ham. Easy overnight breakfast recipes are life savers too!
Easy Brunch Recipe Ideas
Make your life simpler with these tips for a delicious brunch menu with some of our favorite breakfast recipes.
A simple brunch menu can come together with ease and will delight your guests. I usually cook my favorite sausage egg casserole on Christmas morning, but this make-ahead Swiss and ham strata on Easter. This recipe will especially impress your guests, because the combination of ham, gourmet cheeses, bread, and spinach are irresistible.
Add a couple of simple side dishes, such as a spring mix salad, and you’ll be free and clear of the kitchen. Don’t forget some fun decorations and enjoy the time spent with friends and family. Maybe you’ll even find a few hidden eggs of your own!
If you happen to be the brunch host or hostess this year, why not make things simpler and easier with a delicious brunch menu that will delight your guests? A few simple shortcuts will take you out of the kitchen and into the celebration.
- Orange juice or mimosas served in cheerful glassware.
- Spring salad mix tossed with a berry vinaigrette. Here are some of my favorite salad recipes.
- Assorted muffins and pastries. Check out this simple Chocolate Braid Puff Pastry recipe!
- Make-ahead Swiss and ham strata (recipe below).
- Keep it simple! Arrange your serving platters on a table or counter over a springtime tablecloth. Set out plenty of plates and silverware and the guests can serve themselves, buffet style. See some beautiful napkin folding tips and table decorations here.
- If it’s Easter brunch, don’t forget to decorate with cute Free Easter Printables! Find Christmas printables here.
Swiss and Ham Overnight Breakfast Strata
- 2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup onion - chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ lbs ham - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 10 oz frozen spinach - thawed and drained
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 loaf French bread - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 ½ cup skim milk
- 9 eggs
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the two cheeses and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter and onions. Sauté until onions soften and become translucent.
- Add the cubed ham, frozen spinach, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Grease a 3 quart baking dish with butter and spread one third of the bread on the bottom.
- Add about a third of the ham mixture to the top of the bread cubes. Sprinkle a third of the cheese over the ham. Repeat the layers two more times.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the strata.
- At this point, you can cover the dish with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to bake the strata, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Originally Published March 28, 2018
More Easy Brunch recipes
More quick breakfast recipes to try:
- Overnight Oats
- Breakfast Egg Rolls
- Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Overnight Monkey Bread
- Freezer Breakfast Quesadilla