You’ll love this simple breakfast egg roll recipe! Scrambled eggs and cheese breakfast egg rolls with sausage gravy makes a perfect grab and go breakfast with a twist.
Delicious Breakfast Egg Roll Recipe
We all know about the usual egg rolls, but have you ever tried making breakfast egg rolls before? They remind me of the breakfast pastries you can get at the store, but much better because they are made fresh by you!
One of my all time favorite recipes ever on the blog has to be these easy Breakfast Egg Rolls!
Learn how to make them with your oven or air fryer. Either way you make them, they are simple and oh so tasty.
Easy Breakfast Recipe with a Twist
I love finding new recipes and happy that the talented Divian Connor is back with another simple and amazing breakfast recipe idea. The possibilities are endless with these breakfast egg rolls.
You can fill your egg roll wrappers with egg and cheese but also add diced ham, sausage or crumbled bacon. How about a south-western one, with diced tomato, green pepper, onions, eggs, cheese?
My children and family love this recipe. These crunchy treats would also be perfect to add to the table if you are hosting a brunch.
I hope you enjoy these breakfast egg rolls as much as my family does!
How to Make Breakfast Egg Rolls
What you’ll need for egg rolls:
- Eggs (6)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Egg roll wrappers
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped bell peppers (optional)
- Vegetable Oil
Where To Find Egg Roll Wrappers in the Grocery Store
Grocery stores usually keep egg roll wrappers in a cooler or the international section. Look on the shelves with Asian products. You can also find egg roll wrappers–> here on Amazon.
How to Prepare Breakfast Egg Rolls
Scramble your eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. I usually mix one tablespoon of sour cream to my egg mixture and mix well before pouring it into the skillet. This is optional. Once the eggs are done, now comes the assembly.
How to Wrap Egg Rolls
The egg roll wrappers can be a bit dry. To make sure they stick when rolling, sprinkle with water and smooth the water out over the wrapper.
Place the wrapper in front of you so it looks like a diamond. Lay your scrambled eggs in the middle and sprinkle with a nice amount of shredded cheese.
Begin rolling by taking the bottom of the wrapper and tucking under the eggs.
Bring in the sides and then continue rolling.
There you are! Once you have all the rolls wrapped, deep fry in about an inch of vegetable oil until golden brown.
For less grease, place them on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees until brown.
How to Make Country Gravy
For the gravy, you can make your own from scratch, but I always look for easier, quicker alternatives since I am a busy mom of four.
In a skillet, I browned about a cup of sausage. Drain any fat. I used a packet of Country gravy Mix that you can find at your local grocery store next to the taco, chili, seasonings.
Mix the gravy according to the packet directions and pour over your cooked sausage. Mix well until you have a nice thick consistency.
Serve your breakfast egg rolls with the gravy as a dipping sauce.
Can You Freeze Breakfast Egg Rolls?
Wondering if you can freeze these egg rolls? Yes, after they have cooled, you can store these in the freezer for a quick and easy breakfast another day.
Wrap them tightly in cling wrap and then into a plastic bag to freeze. There is no need to thaw, just reheat in an air fryer, oven or fry again. So easy!
How to Cook Frozen Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
- Place frozen egg rolls in the air fryer and spread out into a single layer.
- Air Fry at 350° for 10 minutes. Flip the egg rolls over.
- Air Fry for another 3-5 minutes or until crispy.
I hope you enjoy these delicious egg and cheese egg rolls as much as we do.
Breakfast Egg Rolls [Air Fryer and Oven Recipe]
Egg Roll Directions
- In a skillet, cook bell peppers in a little bit of butter over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper into a bowl. Turn heat to low and pour egg mixture into skillet and scramble until they are done.
- Once the scrambled eggs are done, assemble the egg rolls.
- Sprinkle egg roll wrappers with water and smooth the water out over the wrapper to make sure they are sticky before rolling.
- Place the wrapper in front of you in a diamond. Lay your scrambled eggs in the middle and sprinkle with a nice amount of shredded cheese.
- Begin rolling by taking the piece closest to you and tucking it under the scrambled eggs.
- Bring in the sides of the egg roll wrapper and continue rolling. Wet the last of the wrapper with your finger to seal closed.
- Once you have all breakfast egg rolls wrapped, set aside.
- Mix the gravy according to the packet directions (1 cup water and 1 cup milk) and pour over your cooked sausage. Mix well until you have a nice thick consistency.
- In a skillet, brown sausage. Drain any fat.
- Serve your breakfast egg rolls with the sausage gravy as a dipping sauce.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat until very hot. Make sure you have about an inch of oil.
- Deep fry your breakfast egg rolls turning them until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove and place on a paper towel until ready to serve.
Air Fryer Directions
- Place the wrapped and ready to go breakfast egg rolls your air fryer on an even layer making sure they don't touch. Brush them lightly with oil.
- Cook at 350°F for 6 minutes
- Flip the egg rolls. Brush with oil a second time on this side and cook for 5 more minutes until brown and crispy.
Originally published February 27, 2013 and updated in 2021
Another great recipe for you to try…
Chocolate and marshmallow S’mores Egg Rolls are a crunchy sweet treat! Get this easy recipe for a twist on the usual camping dessert.