Last updated on July 30th, 2018 at 08:27 pm
An easy Banana French Toast Instant Pot Recipe. This is a fast way to make delicious french toast in a pressure cooker. You’ll love this one pot breakfast recipe that’s perfect for a quick family meal!
Easy Banana French Toast Instant Pot recipe!
I’m excited to share my recipe for Instant Pot Banana French Toast! This simple recipe is probably one of my most favorite pressure cooker recipes to make along with this amazing 10 Minute Instant Pot Potato Soup.
Have you gotten into the Instant Pot pressure cooker craze yet? We are totally hooked at how fast it makes meals! I’m thrilled at how well this Banana French Toast turned out! We love french toast and this simple breakfast recipe is perfect for a quick family meal or brunch. It only takes 10-15 minutes to prepare, then the Instant Pot does the rest! What would normally take 40 minutes to bake in the oven, or 5-6 hours in a slow cooker, this french toast bake only takes 25 minutes to make in a pressure cooker!
Originally published February 3, 2017
I haven’t seen a recipe for french toast in a pressure cooker yet, so I tested it out this week. I was very pleased that it turned out soft and delicious, similar to bread pudding.
Topped with bananas, nuts and maple syrup, this Banana French Toast might end up being one of your favorite pressure cooker dishes! Don’t like bananas? Just leave them out and this recipe will still be delicious!
I’ll be making more Instant Pot recipes soon…be sure to click here to subscribe to my emails so you don’t miss a thing!
How to Make Banana French Toast in an Instant Pot
You’ll need to add water to your pressure cooker, so this recipe will be prepared in a baking dish that you place inside of the pressure cooker pot. I have the 8 qt Instant Pot and used a 1 1/2 qt. round glass baking dish.
First, cut 6 pieces of french bread into cubes. Day old bread that is starting to harden is best. My french bread was pre-sliced in about 3/4 inch slices.
Add a layer of bread and sliced bananas to a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle the bananas with brown sugar, then spread softened cream cheese over the layer. Add another layer of bread and top with more bananas and brown sugar.
Now mix the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together and pour over the bread. Top with chilled slices of butter and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
It’s already starting to look tasty!
Water is needed to add pressure to the pot so it will cook. Pour 3/4 cup water into the pressure cooker pot and place a trivet or pot lifter in the bottom of the pot.
My Instant Pot came with a trivet. If you don’t have anything to lift the pan out of the hot pressure cooker, make a sling out of of a large foil strip.
After you lock the lid in place, you’re ready to turn on the pot. This is where it gets exciting!
Since I was testing this recipe, I just pushed the Porridge button which automatically sets the Instant Pot to cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. I did not add more time, but I did let it stay in the pot for 5 minutes to warm before removing the lid. It turned out great!
If you have a different pressure cooker, select High Pressure and set the timer for 25 minutes.
When you remove your baking dish from the pot, let it set for 5-8 minutes before serving.
The photo below is what the french toast comes out looking like in a pressure cooker. NOT the prettiest of dishes, but that’s where you get creative by adding slices of bananas, nuts and maple syrup!
If you want a crispy topping, put the dish under the broiler in your oven to brown the top.
See how good it looks after it’s all fixed up? Get creative and top with your favorite berries if you’d like more fruit.
This Instant Pot recipe is perfect for a quick family meal or when your oven is full and you need to make more dishes for entertaining. I hope you enjoy it!
Did you try this recipe? Share your photos!
Instant Pot Banna French Toast Recipe
Instant Pot Banana French Toast
- 6 slices french bread cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 bananas sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter chilled and sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- Pure maple syrup optional
- Slice french bread into cubes.
- Grease a 1 1/2 QT round baking dish or cake pan for the 8 qt Instant Pot. If you have a smaller pressure cooking pot, use a baking dish that will fit inside of the pot.
- Add a layer of bread to the bowl.
- Layer one sliced banana over the bread, then sprinkle one tablespoon of brown sugar over the bananas.
- In a microwave, melt the cream cheese 30-45 seconds until it’s creamy enough to spread. Cover the bananas and bread with cream cheese.
- Add the rest of the bread to the bowl and layer one more sliced banana over the bread.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of brown sugar over the bananas and half of the pecans over the top.
- Place sliced butter pieces over the bread as the top layer.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Whisk milk, white sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon into egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread, making sure to coat the bread well.
- Pour 3/4 cup water into the pressure cooker pot and place a trivet or pot lifter in the bottom of the pot. If you don’t have a trivet to lift the pan out of the hot pressure cooker, make a sling out of of a large foil strip.
- Center the pan on the trivet or foil strip and lower it into the pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and set the timer for 25 minutes. If using an Instant Pot, select the porridge button, then add 5 minutes to the cook time.
- When timer goes off, turn off the pressure cooker and turn the steam release valve to “venting” to release the pressure. Keep french toast pan in pressure cooker to warm for 5 minutes before removing lid. After 5 minutes and the pressure valve has dropped, remove lid and remove dish from pressure cooking pot.
- Let set for another 5 minutes, then top with sliced bananas, nuts and maple syrup before serving.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below.
Get featured! Just take a picture and share on our Facebook Page for a chance to be bragged about in my newsletter! You can also tag @LivingLocurto and #LivingLocurto on Instagram. Fun!
You might also like these recipes…
You might also like these recipe ideas: