An easy recipe for key lime shortcake. Simple pound cake with lime flavored cheesecake filling, whipped cream and sherbet makes an amazing shortcake dessert.
Easy Key Lime Shortcake Recipe
This delicious Key Lime Shortcake is simple to make and perfect for your next party dessert table! With St. Patrick’s Day coming soon, I wondered what kind of green dessert to make that both my kids and friends would love.
I went to the grocery store, leaned on my cart and starred at the fruit aisle. What is fresh, fruity and green? Apples?Grapes? Kiwi? Nah (southern for no), my kids do not like kiwi. Then I spied the tarty sour goodness that are limes and key limes.
I had a momentary flashback to my kids asking for lemons and limes to eat plain at home. I recalled their love of cheesecake and my daughter’s love of key lime pie. Here in the south, Key Lime Pie is pretty popular. I then thought about my very successful strawberry shortcakes and banana pudding cakes that everyone seemed to love.
Then I had this bright idea… lime flavored cheesecake filling, cake, whipped cream and lime sherbet. WIN! Seriously, how could I go wrong?
What is a key lime?
- Key limes, also known as Mexican limes, are small and more aromatic than a normal lime.
- They have a tarter and more floral juice.
- They are more yellow in color and contain more seeds than the usual lime.
How do you make key lime shortcake?
For this recipe we used pre-made mini pound cakes, Philadelphia Cheesecake Filling, key limes and whipped cream. With such an easy pre-made startup already, the preparation time is quick for on the go moms. I am always looking for recipe shortcuts and this was a great idea. So heavenly!
For this simple and easy recipe, you will need:
- Mini Pound Cakes (sliced horizontally)
- Philadelphia Cheesecake Filling
- 5 Key Limes or 1/2 whole lime
- Whipped Cream
- Sherbet (optional)
In a bowl squeeze limes with a bit of pulp into 2 cups of cheesecake filling. Mix well.
Since the lime juice goes a long way, you can begin by adding a little at a time, mixing and tasting for tartness. I used 5 key limes.
Spread your cheesecake mixture on the layers. And top the final cake layer with a dollop of whipped cream and a slice of key lime or lime.
Serve with a side of lime sherbet or for a complimentary note, orange sherbet or vanilla ice cream.
I love surprising my children with desserts that look like they may have taken forever to make when in reality, they only took a few minutes! Delicious, refreshing and tart, this dessert idea is a winner.
Easy Key Lime Dessert Recipe
Originally published on March 11, 2014
Key Lime Shortcake
- 4 mini pound cakes - sliced horizontally
- 2 cups Philadelphia Cheesecake Filling
- 5 key limes or 1/2 whole lime
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 cup lime sherbet - optional
- In a small bowl, squeeze the juice of the key limes including a bit of pulp.
- In a larger bowl, add the cheesecake filling and a little lime juice at a time, mixing and tasting for tartness. Mix well.
- Spread your cheesecake mixture on the pound cake layers.
- Top the final cake layer with a dollop of whipped cream and a slice of key lime or lime.
- Serve with a side of lime sherbet or for a complimentary note, orange sherbet or vanilla ice cream.
Thanks to Divian for contributing this tasty recipe!
You might also love these dessert recipes:
If you’d like more key lime desserts, try this yummy Key Lime Pie!