How to make a bow for a wreath in about 5-Minutes! Learn how to make a bow out of ribbon for a wreath, centerpiece, door sign or gift.
This festive DIY buffalo check ribbon bow will make a stunning Christmas gift and perfect for any of your holiday decor! You won’t believe how easy it is to make. Seriously, it only takes 5-minutes, then you’ll have an amazing bow for a wreath!
How to Make a Bow for a Wreath and More in 5 Minutes
If you want a new bow for a wreath, this is one of the prettiest and easy crafts you can make! This bow looks best when you have at least five different kinds of ribbon. Mix and match the colors for each holiday.
This buffalo check and plaid ribbon is perfect for a Christmas wreath or pretty table centerpiece. I love decorating my tables with plaid! Get more inspiration with these –> Plaid Christmas Table Decorations.
How Do You Make a Bow Out of Ribbon?
Okay my friend, making a bow out of ribbon is easier than you think with this quick technique!
This type of DIY bow is perfect for a wreath. You can’t go wrong with this simple layered messy ribbon style. The hardest part of this tutorial is deciding which ribbon colors to choose!
What You Need to Make a Bow
First you’ll want to cut several different types of ribbon the same length. If you want a 5” bow, double the length that you cut to 10”.
Layer your ribbon on top of each other and angle in different directions.
Pinch the middle of the ribbon with your finger.
Tie with a twist tie or pipe cleaner. I connected two twist ties that I snagged from my grocery store!
Tie another small piece of ribbon around the twist tie to hide it.
Cut the ribbon edges into your favorite style. Add another twist tie through the ribbon in the back so you can attach to whatever you want to decorate.
Adding to a simple grapevine wreath is our go-to quick way to decorate a door. Change out your ribbon colors for each season!
Fun Christmas Decorating Ideas for Your Messy Bow
With Christmas right around the corner, buffalo plaid ribbon is so festive for all kinds of decor! Here are some quick holiday decor ideas you could try.
- Add to a floral centerpiece. Get my —> Christmas Centerpiece tutorial.
- Attach to a fresh pine wreath with a few berry twigs.
- Use as a Christmas Tree topper
- Make 4-5 bows and add to a piece of jute twine for a pretty Christmas mantel garland.
- Make several small bows to decorate a Christmas tree.
- Place a small bow into the handle of a cutting board and display in your kitchen.
- Fill a large Mason jar with candy and top with this bow. —> Get 50 Mason Jar Gift Ideas
- Hang from your kitchen cabinets.
- Tie a piece of ribbon around a chair and place your bow on the back of the chair. Get inspiration for —> Christmas Table decorations.
—> You might also like these 5 Easy Christmas Decorating Ideas
How to Make a Bow for a Wreath
- Twist Ties or Pipe Cleaner
- Cut several different types of ribbon the same length. If you want a 5” bow, double the length that you cut to 10”.
- Layer your ribbon on top of each other and angle in different directions.
- Pinch the middle of the ribbon with your finger.
- Tie with a twist tie or pipe cleaner. I connected two twist ties that I snagged from my grocery store!
- Tie another small piece of ribbon around the twist tie to hide it.
- Cut the ribbon edges into your favorite style.
- Add another twist tie through the ribbon in the back so you can attach to whatever you want to decorate.
Visit my DIY Crafts board on Pinterest for even more fun ideas.
Recommended supplies you’ll need for this craft
Originally published on November 15, 2020. Last Updated on January 13, 2021 by Amy Locurto