Adorable Giraffe Cake Dessert Board to celebrate the film Dolittle! Learn how to make this cute no-bake cake and dessert board. It makes the perfect snack!
Sponsored by Universal Pictures
Easy Giraffe Cake Dessert Board
The new film Dolittle is in theaters this weekend and it looks like a fantastic movie for all ages!
I created an epic dessert board and cake featuring one of the film’s cute animals, Betsy the giraffe (voiced by Selena Gomez). I hope you enjoy this fun sweet and simple snack idea!
Robert Downey Jr. electrifies one of literature’s most enduring characters in a vivid reimagining of the classic tale of the man who could talk to animals, Doctor Dolittle.
I’m so excited that this new film will introduce Hugh Lofting’s magical series to a new generation.
When the queen of England falls ill, Doctor Dolittle sets sail on an epic adventure to a mythical island in search of a cure, regaining his wit and courage as he crosses old adversaries and discovers wondrous creatures.
The doctor is joined on his quest by a variety of his animal friends, on of which is a giraffe named Betsy. When I saw Betsy, I knew I wanted to create some kind of fun recipe for kids inspired by her.
It was exciting to find out that Selena Gomez is the giraffe! We love Selena so much and hope she see’s my creation of her character!
The epic adventure also stars Poly the Parrot (voiced by Emma Thompson), Jip the Dog (voiced by Tom Holland), Dab-Dab the Duck (voiced by Octavia Spencer), Plimpton the Ostrich (voiced by Kumail Nanjiani), Chee-Chee the Gorilla (voiced by Rami Malek), Yoshi the Polar Bear (voiced by John Cena) and Tutu the Fox (voiced by Marion Cotillard).
Here’s How You Can Make a Dolittle Dessert Board
Of course, you can do your own version of a giraffe cake and dessert board, but here is how I made this one. I love how magical it ended up being.
This is the cutest dessert board for a movie watching night, birthday party or baby shower.
How to Assemble a Giraffe Cake
I used these cute Dolittle illustrations for inspiration to create my Giraffe Cake.
If you’re adventurous, you could create all of the animals out of some kind of food! For now, we’ll work on Betsy the Giraffe.
What I Used for my Giraffe Cake:
- Dessert Shells
- Angel Food Cake or Pound Cake
- Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Pretzel Sticks
- Banana Chips
Add a handful of dark chocolate candy melts into a glass bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir until creamy. Heat 10-20 more seconds if it needs to be melted more.
Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and pour the melted chocolate onto the paper.
With a spatula, spread the chocolate until you have a smooth layer.
Let cool and harden. Place your baking sheet in the freezer or refrigerator to speed up the process.
While you wait for the chocolate to harden, assemble your cake. I didn’t use anything to attach these items. Carefully inserting candy into the dessert shell is all you need to do.
- Head = Dessert shell
- Eyes = Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Nose & Ears = Banana chips
- Horns (Ossicones) = Pretzel sticks
- Nose nostrils = Mini chocolate chips
- Neck & Body = Angel food cake turned upside down.
- Spots = Dark chocolate candy melts
Your chocolate should have hardened by now. Chop it into small giraffe looking spots and place onto the cake. Don’t handle it too much or the chocolate will melt in your hand.
Now finish your dessert board with additional candy, cookies, fruit and serve!
You can make the giraffe cake the night before. Wait to add fruit until closer to serving.
Giraffe Cake Dessert Board
- 1 Dessert Shells
- 1 Angel Food Cake Loaf
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
- 2 Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Mini Chocolate Chips
- 2 Pretzel Sticks
- 3 Banana Chips
- fruit and cookies of your choice
- Add a handful of the dark chocolate candy melts into a glass bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir until creamy. Heat 10-20 more seconds if it needs to be melted more.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and pour the melted chocolate onto the paper.
- With a spatula, spread the chocolate until you have a smooth layer.
- Let cool and harden. Place your baking sheet in the freezer or refrigerator to speed up the process.
- While you wait for the chocolate to harden, assemble your cake.
- Carefully insert the banana chips into the side of the cake for ears. Add another chip for the nose.
- Place chocolate chips on the cake for eyes and nostrils. Pretzel sticks for horns.
- Your chocolate should have hardened by now. Chop it into small giraffe looking spots and place onto the cake. Don’t handle it too much or the chocolate will melt in your hand.
- Finish your dessert board by adding candy, cookies, fruit and serve!
You’ll also like these ideas:
- Best Kids Birthday Party Ideas
- Hot Fudge Sundae Birthday Cake
- Spider-Man Candy Popcorn
- Under the Sea Donut Kabobs
- Chicken Cupcakes (VIDEO)
- How To Train Your Dragon Cake Recipe
- LEGO Movie Cupcakes & Printables
Originally published on January 16, 2020. Last Updated on February 19, 2020 by Amy Locurto