How to Make DIY Foaming Hand Soap

How to Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap

I love foaming soap and little did I know how easy it is to make! My mom told me about this quick DIY trick for making more foaming hand soap when you run out.

Making your own foaming hand soap is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Seriously… it only take three steps to make!

All you need to refill your foaming soap is a small bit of dishwashing soap and water.

foaming-Handsoap

1. Fill the empty bottle 1/4 full of dishwashing soap.

2. Fill the rest of the bottle with water.

3. Put the cap back on and shake.

How to Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap

That’s it! You might already know this trick, but if not, now you’ll be hooked on making your own foaming soap.

Have you tried this before?

About Amy Locurto

Amy is a creative mom of two and graphic designer. When she's not working on Living Locurto, she's busy designing Printable Party Supplies and working on I Heart Faces, her photography blog. Find Amy on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram.

Comments

1. Do you need a special foaming bottle for this or can you use any pump bottle?

• You’ll need the Special foaming bottle. Best to reuse a store bought foam dispenser (you can buy them empty, but cheaper to buy with soap already in it!). I’ve done this for years, love it for using Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile soap. Soft soap also works.

2. Victoria Simon Zeolla says:

I do this all the time for dishwashing. This saves some money because I use less soap and also less water to rinse the dishes because the foam soap rinses off much quicker than just the regular liquid.

3. I just use regular hand soap, thinned down. This way I get to have my favorite fragrances as foaming soap. (Why don’t they make great smelling foaming soap refills)? You do have to make sure that you thin it down enough, though or it won’t work.

4. Madeeha Rizwan says:

I made this using bottles from bath and body works which stopped working the second time I made it! I bought method foaming hand wash this time to reuse their bottles thinking that you used method bottles but yours is dial. Does dial bottles last a long time?

• Maybe it’s the type of soap you are using? I use Dawn dish soap and it foams up every time.

• I used bath and body works hand soap that had small beads in it so I am thinking that may be it was due to those beads. I tried using their plain hand soap in their own bottle and it’s working fine for now. I am using it to wash my twins hands because foam is easier to wash off :)

5. Anonymous says:

I refilled an empty Method dish washing liquid with my Dawn – uses less, doesn't foam but works GREAT! Would regular soft soap be ok using the add water to a pump direction? My grandkids LOVE pumping out the soap – the foam is "fun to wash hands Nana". Cool.

6. Great idea. I only had dishwashing soap at the time.

7. Wow, you probably have tons of great ideas. thanks!

8. mhanna618 says:

works great using any *clear* body wash (creamy ones or those with scrubbies in them doesn’t work as well) I’ve also used shampoo in a pinch! Also its best if you use HOT water and to NOT shake but just tip back and forth until its mixed completely (that’s how i’ve been doing it at least!)

9. Foaming soap is great! Thanks for the wonderful post, Amy :)

10. I do this with our son's baby wash…he loves to pump out the foamy soap!

11. Aunt Tricia says:

When I add the water to the liquid hand soap, I add it very slowly so the soap won’t foam up.

12. I do this but with regular hand soap. Thinned down, it's foaming soap!

13. I <3 foaming soap too! The kiddos always get too much soap the other way! I saw another post where it was 9 parts hand soap to 1 part water and that actually works well too! I haven't done it with dishwashing soap but that sounds great as well! Thanks Amy! :)

14. Joanna Rutz says:

Instead of the dish soap you can use a regular softsoap or Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.

15. Joanna Damon Vanderkooi says:

I use this at home, and also at church. I am the cleaning lady at church, and like to save as much money as possible! I don't use chemicals, either, so I make my own cleaning products to use at home AND the church.

16. Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! We use a LOT of foam soap and at $3-4 per container of refill, it adds up! And I have never been a fan of the 3 scents available. Now I can hook it up!

Living Locurto is a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to products.