It’s Back to School Party time as I host a week of new craft ideas by some of my favorite DIY bloggers.
I love this Back to School Time Capsule by Mariah from Giggles Galore. Collect special items at the beginning of the year, then open it on last day of school to rediscover the treasures and see how much your children have grown! Enjoy this fun craft tutorial.
Hello! I’m Mariah from Giggles Galore and I am excited to be here with Amy sharing a back-to-school project both you and your kids will love! The beginning of the school year is such a busy time for families, full of excitement and new adventures. This year start a new family tradition with a Back to School Time Capsule and preserve those precious memories that seem to fly by way to fast!
When my kids were little I used to roll my eyes at people who would tell me “cherish every moment, it goes by way to fast” but now I know what they were talking about! Last year my oldest child started kindergarten and I couldn’t believe how much she changed throughout the year.
I wish that I had done more than snap that obligatory 1st day of school photo so I could really see how much she had grown and changed throughout the year. Which is why this year I decided to make a back to school time capsule to record important details from the school year and years to come!
You can make your own Back to School Time Capsule with a few craft supplies.
1. Gather your supplies. You will need scrapbook paper, a box to hold your treasures (I used a paper mache book from the craft section at Hobby Lobby), embellishments, glue and craft paint.
You could use any kind of box like this.
2. Cover the box with scrapbook paper and paint any sides that aren’t covered with paper.
3. Once the paint is dry, cut paper to fit on the inside of your box and glue it down.
4. Next, use a hole punch or an eyelet setter to punch holes in each sides of your book. String ribbon through the holes and tie a bow to keep your time capsule sealed.
5. Finally, add treasures to the time capsule that will serve as a reminder of how much your little one changed throughout the year.
What we included in our time capsule:
- A hand print
- A piece of ribbon which measured her height.
- The necklace she wore the first day of school.
- A First Day of School Interview.
Other ideas for things to include in your time capsule are special notes or trinkets they get on the first day of school and a self portrait or picture from the first day of school.
We also plan to add special items like awards, notes from friends and pictures to our back to school time capsule throughout the year.
We will open the time capsule the last day of school to rediscover the treasures and see how much she has grown throughout the year!
Thanks Amy for letting me visit Living Locurto to share one of my fun craft projects with all of you. I hope you’ll start a new family tradition and preserve special memories this year with a Back to School Time Capsule.
If you liked this idea you’ll love these other creative school themed parties and projects on Giggles Galore:
With a passion for celebrating, Mariah created Giggles Galore to inspire families to celebrate life’s little moments with creative, budget friendly ideas. She has been blogging for over 3 years and believes that the details are what set ordinary events apart from EXTRAORDINARY events, even in everyday life! She focuses on sharing DIY crafts, creative parties and free printables for creating memorable occasions filled with lots of giggles galore!