Ever have one of those days where you had no time to get to the grocery store, kids are fighting, house is a wreck, but you just have to do ONE thing that day that feels like you accomplished something? I had one of those scramble around your kitchen looking for something to cook nights. Here is my last minute concoction. It was pretty good for using ingredients stuffed in the back of my pantry. Plus, I felt like I did something!! Mommy mission accomplished.
Tuna and Egg Noodle Bake (my last minute-round up meal)
- 1 bag egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance Light Spread)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1- 14 oz.can fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2 % milk (use half & half if you have it)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- pinch of dried tarragon leaves (or whatever herb you have handy)
- pinch of dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (more if you like spicy)
- 3 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese (or parmesan)
- 4 cans tuna packed in oil, drained
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°.
Boil a large pot of salted water. Once boiling, add the egg noodles and cook for about 5-7 minutes. (Make sure to drain it after this amount of time or they will turn to mush.)
While water is boiling and noodles are cooking. Melt the butter in pan. Once the butter has melted, sprinkle in the flour and stir while letting the mixture cook for about 1 minute.
Whisk in chicken broth and let cook about 4-5 minutes until it has thickened. Add milk, mustard, tarragon, minced onion and hot sauce and bring the mixture back up to a bubble. Turn off heat and add 1 tablespoon cheese and tuna, salt and pepper. Combine everything in a casserole dish and cover with the 2 tablespoons of cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese melts and the top slightly browns.