Last updated on May 23rd, 2017 at 10:12 am
Learn how to make a diaper cake for a baby shower with this easy craft tutorial!
Learn how to make a diaper cake with this easy craft tutorial!
You won’t believe how easy these this beautiful baby gift centerpieces are to make. Wow your party guests by whipping one up the next time you go to a baby shower.
I love this craft tutorial submitted by Briana from idoallmyownstunts.com. Briana created this fabulous diaper cake specifically created for a book themed baby shower. I hope you enjoy her diaper cake craft tutorial!
What you will need to make a diaper cake:
- Cardboard cake rounds: For a three-tiered cake, I used 8″, 10″ and 12″. (These can be found at Michael’s in the baking section)
- Cardboard tubing or spent toilet paper rolls (6 should be sufficient)
- Hot glue gun
- Diapers – a pack of 78 is just enough (I find Pampers Swaddlers to be the best because they are white and most aesthetically pleasing in ‘cake’ form)
- Rubber bands
- Ribbon in complementary colors to the event you are planning
- Silk flowers
- Adornments: I usually like to have a stuffed animal as a cake topper. Additionally, you can use pacifiers, baby wash cloths, teething rings, baby lotion or powder — anything that fits in with your color scheme
- (Optional) – Colorful construction paper and text pages from used books (folded together and glued to make small ‘books’ to adorn the diaper cake)
Step 1: Make the cake structure.
Cut the cardboard tubing or spent toilet paper rolls to the width of the diapers you are using.
Use a hot glue gun to glue the tubes to the cardboard cake rounds. Three tubes for the bottom layer, two tubes for the middle layer and 1 tube on the top layer.
Step 2: Add the diapers.
Wrap some of the diapers around the cardboard support tubes and secure in place with rubber bands. For the outer, exposed, layer of diapers, roll each diaper tightly and place around the edge of the cardboard cake round securing the entire cake tier with a large rubber band.
Step 3: Adorn the cake.
Wrap each layer with ribbon making sure to disguise the rubber bands. Add silk flowers or other colorful baby items to adorn the cake. Secure them to the ribbon or under the rubber bands as best you can. You may need to use your imagination. If you use glue, be careful not to get any glue on the diapers because the baby shower recipient will surely want to use the diapers after she disassembles the cake.
Step 5: Add your cake topper and other accoutrements.
Because this shower had a book theme, I cut out small rectangles of colorful construction paper and glued text pages from used books on the inside. Folded together, these made small baby books which adorned the cake. I made sure my cake topper – the turtle – was reading one of them.
You might also like these cute Baby Shower Ideas!