I’m going on a trip soon where I’ll need my birth certificate. I looked everywhere downstairs and found nothing! I headed upstairs to look through the hall closet where all of my old work files are stored. I just knew it had to be in there! Well this is how my search went…
1. I got the bright idea that I would clean out the closet while looking for the birth certificate! BAD IDEA. I didn’t realize it’s been nearly 10 years since I’d gone through most of that closet!
2. I came across an envelope with my dad’s funeral card, his will (where he left me his deepest love among a few other personal items), his last emails to me which I found on my computer after I returned home from his funeral. Then came the tears… and laughter because the last email he sent was hilarious!
3. I found my son’s baby book. More tears… this time for my daughter because she has nothing of the sort! And also because I had not ONE wrinkle in any of the photos. Amazing what 8 years with kids can do to your skin!
4. Then I found some old photos of my family that I looked through for who knows how long?
5. I threw away stacks of old receipts and forms. Not knowing if I need to keep them or not?
6. I forgot I had planned to start a party planning business way back in 1999. This must have been during my first pregnancy when I had lots of energy and nothing else to do! ha. I found all of my documents from my big plan. My business was going to be called Amy’s Adventures. (It’s interesting that I now have a blog and shop about parties.) I even found sketches of my potential logo.
7. I also found documentation that I used to own the domain name amysadventures.com. Look at what I found when I typed in that URL. Maybe I should have kept that one??
Not only is my hallway a huge mess right now, but I’m emotional, tired from staying up late and I still haven’t come close to finding the birth certificate! Mom, if you’re reading this… do you have a copy?
So I need an organizer.
I need to not be so tied to things. I need to throw the stuff away. I need to have a place to put things.
Did I say I need an organizer?
How about you?
Could you throw out your logo sketches from 10 years ago? Get rid of your Dad’s last emails? Do you know when you can throw out business and tax documents? Any organizers out there?
UPDATE: After all of that searching… my mom did have my birth certificate! 🙂
[ad#Google Ad- 200 image]