Tamale Pie is an easy and perfect dinner recipe for a week night. One day while working with Mandi, she was telling me about this recipe being one of her family’s favorites. The next time she made it, I got to taste test and take some photos to share here.
Believe me, this recipe is worth making! It’s like a taco with a huge twist and a ton of fantastic flavors that will make any belly happy!
I couldn’t wait to share this easy Tamale Mexican Casserole. A dinner recipe idea the whole family will love!
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- ½ can diced green chilies
- ¼ of an onion minced
- 2 boxes cornbread mix- made following instructions on box
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ground cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Diced purple onion- it's just prettier then regular onion!
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- diced avocado
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet brown the ground meat and onions.
- Add your cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (Yes, you can just use a taco seasoning packet!).
- Add the diced green chilies and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the enchilada sauce and let it simmer for about 10 minutes stirring often.
- While the meat mixture is cooking make the two boxes of corn bread following the direction on the box.
- In a 9x13 pan spray some cooking oil and add a little of the corn bread mixture to the bottom of the pan. Now spoon in the meat mixture, cover the meat with shredded cheese, then pour the rest of the cornbread mixture on top and spread it so it is totally covering the meat mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown. You may need to bump the oven up to 400 if it is taking too long. Just make sure it is cooked in the middle.
- Garnish with toppings such as diced purple onion, sour cream, diced avocado, and fresh cilantro. It would also be fantastic with a tomatillo sauce!