This easy no-bake Mini Peppermint Trifle is the perfect bite-sized Holiday dessert! Cute Christmas dessert with candy canes and homemade peppermint whipped cream is also a fun gift from your Elf on the Shelf.
Mini Peppermint Trifle Recipe
Candy canes are a plenty during the holidays and this simple Mini Peppermint Trifle is the perfect bite sized Christmas dessert!
This easy to make no-bake dessert has layers of crushed candy canes, angel food cake and homemade peppermint whipped cream.
Topped with crushed candy canes and garnished with a candy cane stick with a mini Santa hat will make these fun parfaits popular Christmas treats.
I used mini mousse cups and these tiny Santa hats from Oriental Trading Company. Aren’t they cute? The Santa hats fit perfectly on a candy cane stick in the peppermint trifles for an adorable garnish.
What are the Layers of a Peppermint Trifle?
The layers of a trifle usually consist of some sort of cake or brownie and creamy whipped cream.
For this version we use candy canes, but you could also add fruit. Brownies would be amazing in place of the angel food cake too.
I’m always obsessed with anything mini! Mini desserts like these little candy cane trifles are not only super cute to serve a party, but they allow you to taste the desserts without going overboard.
I like to try a little bite of every dessert at the party!
What You’ll Need to Make Mini Trifles
Cute Dessert From Your Elf on the Shelf
These sweet little peppermint trifles are also an adorable gift from your Elf on the Shelf. Our elf Peter loves making them for us.
He is often found in the refrigerator surrounded by several of these cute desserts.
You might also like these Funny elf ideas
- Why Your Elf on the Shelf Didn’t Move
- 9 Hilarious Stuck at Home Elf Letterboards
- Best Elf on the Shelf Arrival Ideas
- Funny Elf Photo Props
- Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
If you need more elf ideas, please visit my Elf Ideas Shop!
How early can I make a trifle?
Wondering if you can make a trifle ahead of time? It’s best to not assemble your trifle too early as the cake will end up soggy.
You can prepare your cake and whipped cream ahead of time and freeze. When you’re ready to assemble, thaw the ingredients and layer the day you plan to serve.
How to Make Mini Peppermint Trifles
This easy Christmas dessert recipe is full of flavor and one is all you need. Well, maybe two!
It’s the homemade peppermint whipped cream that I could eat forever. When you make these peppermint trifles, save some whipped cream for your coffee. It’s amazing combination!
I hope you enjoy my quick and simple recipe this Christmas. If your elf makes these for you, please tag me on Instagram!
Mini Peppermint Trifle
Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and peppermint extract together with a hand mixer until cream turns into heavy peaks. Add to a pipping bag and chill or freeze until ready to assemble trifle.
- Add candy canes to a plastic zipper bag, seal and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Slice angel food cake into 1/4 inch thick slices. Use the mini trifle cups to cut small circles out of the cake slices.
- Layer the dessert by adding crushed candy canes to the bottom of the mini cup.
- Next add a layer of peppermint whipped cream, crushed candy canes, the angel food cake and top with whipped cream.
- Place a mini candy cane stick into each dessert. Add a mini Santa hat to the candy cane stick and sprinkle more crushed candy canes over the trifle before serving.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Recipe originally published Dec 7, 2017 at Oriental Trading’s Fun 365. Updated December 2021.
You might also like these Christmas Desserts
Originally published on December 17, 2021. Last Updated on December 17, 2021 by Amy Locurto