This is the BEST Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe for an easy family dinner! Topped with fresh avocado, cheese and tortilla strips, it’s a fast meal to cook that everyone will love.
Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
When you need a quick and easy dinner, try this incredible Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe!
I’m so excited to share this soup with you, because this might be the best chicken tortilla soup recipes that I’ve ever made.
I can promise you’ll be addicted to this amazing restaurant style tortilla soup!
Easy Homemade Tortilla Soup
Living in Texas we have our fair share of amazing Tex-Mex restaurants. I can unofficially say that I’m an expert when it comes to eating tortilla soup!
When it comes to tortilla soup, I’m super picky. That means it’s got to be amazing for me to take the time to cook it at home!
This amazing restaurant style Instant Pot soup recipe is a mix match of several recipes from my friend Wendee’s mom and aunt who were both amazing cooks. I’ve also added some of my own touches to create the best Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
With it being soup season, you’ll want to put this easy Instant Pot Soup recipe on your list of meals to make!
This easy Chicken Tortilla soup is perfect topped with fresh sliced avocados and Cheddar cheese or Pepper Jack cheese. It’s great with crunchy toppings too, so if you have tortilla chips or strips, they will complete the soup!
I’ve made it several times this month and my family is already over it. Ha! But I can’t get enough.
Once this is cooked, you’ll want to top this easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe with crispy colorful tortilla strips, cheese and sliced avocados. It’s a perfect soup to serve at a party or to make a quick and easy weeknight meal!
Can You Make this Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Crockpot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, a Crockpot will work fine. So, yes, you can definitely make this soup recipe in a Crockpot! Click here for 60 Amazing Crockpot Recipes.
You can also make it on the stovetop. Scroll down to find directions in the printable recipe card on how to make this soup in various ways.
Can you Put Frozen Chicken in an Instant Pot for Soup?
Since this soup recipe calls for fresh chicken breasts, I would use fresh first. But, yes you can certainly use frozen chicken if that’s all you have handy. Click here for more easy chicken recipes.
You’ll want to add more time to this soup if you use frozen chicken meat. Get the specific cook times and how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot here.
I love making chicken recipes in my Instant Pot and the best part about this soup is that the raw chicken goes right into the pot along with the soup ingredients and comes out fabulously tender and easy to shred.
What is the Best Thing to Make in an Instant Pot?
I’m partial to this easy soup being the best, but here are a few more easy Instant Pot meals you might want to try:
- The BEST Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Simple Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- We love Instant Pot Banana French Toast
- Fast and Easy Instant Pot Spinach Dip
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe! You probably have a lot of the ingredients already in your home.
How long does the soup last?
Tortilla soup gets better with time! It will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a resealable container. Freeze this soup for up to 3 months.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 lime - Juice of lime only
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados sliced
- 2 cups pepper jack and cheddar cheese
- 2 cups tortilla strips
- Press the sauté button on and place the onions, chili powder, cumin and taco seasonings into the pot.
- Sauté for about a minute then add the chicken breasts to the pot with tongs. Sauté another minute, then turn over the chicken breasts and sauté another minute.
- Press the warm button.
- Add a small amount of chicken broth to the pot to stir around breaking up the burnt crispy bits from the onions. Add the rest of the chicken broth.
- Add steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cilantro, lime juice and pinto beans.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure your vent is shut.
- Pressure cook for 7 minutes. (plan for 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to pre-heat)
- Once the timer goes off, turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure.
- Open the lid and move chicken to another bowl or plate.
- With 2 forks, shred the chicken and place back into the pot. Keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sliced avocados, cheese and tortilla strips before serving.
More easy Mexican themed recipes
To sum up, you might also want to try these delicious recipes!
- Easy Baked Chicken Nachos
- Homemade Margarita Mix
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Tamale Pie Mexican Casserole
Want to make your own homemade tortillas for your soup? Try this recipe.