Hot apple cider, also known as Mulled Apple Cider, is a flavorful classic hot drink that’s perfect for a crowd. This year we’re adding some rum to spice it up. Enjoy this easy and delicious 10 minute cocktail recipe!
Easy Hot Apple Cider with Rum
The cold is here and it’s time to start thinking about all of the winter drinks that you’re going to want. Hot apple cider, also known as Mulled Apple Cider) is a classic drink, but this year we’re adding some rum for an extra kick!
The best part? This recipe takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish. So what do you say? Ready for a hot drink with rum?
I’m not a huge fan of the cold weather, but there are some things I always love about this time of year.
One thing is to have a hot cup of apple cider with rum in front of a warm fireplace. The other part I really enjoy is when my friends and family come over for food and drinks, which we all know goes hand-in-hand with winter holidays!
You might also love these drink recipes:
- Butterscotch Caramel Coffee
- Autumn Spice Punch Recipe
- Irish Apple Cider
- Apple Cider Fall Sangria
- Coquito – Puerto Rican Rum Punch
- Easy Holiday Punch
What is a good rum to put in hot cider?
If you’re wondering what type of liquor to add to hot apple cider, our vote is for rum! Most dark rums are great for hot mulled apple cider.
For this recipe I used RumChata, but I also think Fireball Whiskey would also be amazing. Maybe you add both for a Cinnamon Toast Crunch Hot Cider cocktail?
How to Make Hot Apple Cider
I’m here to tell you how to make the perfect hot apple cider with rum for your friends and family. It’s easy, delicious, and will warm them up this winter!
Just mix a half gallon of fresh apple cider with nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon sticks and orange slices in a pot on the stovetop. Heat on medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Add more cloves for extra flavor.
If you want an even richer taste, stir in some honey too! Add more spices if desired – nutmeg is great because it adds that holiday vibe of flavor!
Now just let it simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the burner and wait another 5 minutes before serving.
Before serving, you’ll want to strain your cider mixture to remove orange slices, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
How do you get sugar to stick to the rim of glasses?
The fun part about this mulled cider is adding sugar to the rims of the glasses.
Prepare your mugs by adding honey to a plate and dip rims of the glass into the honey. Next, dip the honey coated rims onto a plate of brown sugar to coat the rims with sugar.
Pour cider into mugs and add your favorite rum or RumChata to each glass.
Now all of those yummy flavors mix together to give you the best hot apple cider cocktail to enjoy on a cold winter night.
Hot Cider Supplies
Hot Apple Cider with Rum
- ½ gallon fresh apple cider 64 ounces
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 orange slices
- 4 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 ½ cups Rum RumChata or Fireball Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pour apple cider in a saucepan (or slow cooker) and set on medium-high heat.
- Add the nutmeg and cloves, stir well.
- Add orange slices and cinnamon sticks then heat the apple cider until it is hot.
- Simmer on warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare mugs by adding honey to a plate and dip rims of mugs into the honey. Dip into a plate of brown sugar to coat the rims with sugar.
- Before serving, strain cider mixture to remove orange slices, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Pour cider into mugs.
- Add a shot of rum to each glass. (optional)
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and serve hot.