I don’t know about you, but fall brings out the comfort food in me!
As a kid, one of my favorite and only recipe that included a vegetable was broccoli, cheese and rice casserole. My mom used to dice up the broccoli so fine that I had no idea that what I was eating was actually good for me!
After spending a cold evening carving pumpkins or going door to door for Halloween candy, this new and improved recipe from my childhood is a great dish to pull out of the oven for the family.
I plan on serving this easy dish on Halloween. We’ll see if I can drag my kids away from their candy to eat it. If not, just more for me! Yum!
What is your favorite cold weather comfort food?
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 cups cooked brown minute rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 can 98% Fat Free cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- ½ cup of light sour cream
- 1½ cups finely chopped fresh broccoli (frozen will work also)
- 1 spoonful butter
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a skillet, cook chicken in water. Remove, cool and shred.
- Heat oil in skillet and cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until tender.
- Add soup, sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Mix a little less than half a can of water in soup can, add to mixture.
- Stir in chicken, cooked rice and broccoli to mixture.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and parmesan into a bowl.
- Melt a spoonful of butter and stir into the bread crumb mixture. Spread on top of casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.