Carrot Patch Chocolate Dirt Cupcakes are an irresistibly fresh take on an Easter dessert!
A delicious combination of candy, fresh mint and chocolate-filled cupcake goodness are sure to be a hit at any gathering. Get creative this Springtime with these festive treats for all ages to enjoy!
The Cutest Carrot Patch Cupcakes!
These adorable Candy Carrot Patch Cupcakes are a fun twist on a classic chocolate dirt cake and perfect to serve at your Easter brunch or On the Farm party. Kids, adults and especially bunnies will love this simple chocolate dessert recipe!
With chocolate cupcakes mixed with chocolate frosting as the dirt, and candy carrots, these fun carrot cupcakes make a simple and tasty edible food craft for spring.
Carrots in the Dirt Cupcakes
These simple carrot patch cupcakes are easy to make and would be cute Easter Bunny food or perfect for a springtime garden party.
You will need:
- Chocolate Cake Mix and ingredients for the mix
- Chocolate Frosting
- Orange Starburst Candy
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Small Terra Cotta Pots – or Plastic Flower Pots
I used silicone flower pot cupcake molds that I found at Target. Real terra-cotta pots are safe to cook in as long as they are new, scrubbed clean and unglazed. You could also place pre-baked cupcakes inside of a terra-cotta pot.
Carrot Patch Cupcake Directions
Bake chocolate cake inside of silicone flower pot cake molds and let them cool.
Shape the Starburst candy into carrot shapes. Use a knife to mark the edges of the candy to look like a carrot.
Poke a toothpick through the top of the candy to make a hole for the mint.
Insert a piece of mint into the candy.
Scoop out the top part of the cupcake.
Add chocolate frosting.
Make the “dirt” by sprinkling the top part of the cupcake onto the frosting.
Pat it down gently with your finger to fit inside the pot.
Add your carrots to the cupcake and enjoy!
Pro Tip: If you leave fresh mint at room temperature too long, it will wilt. Wait to add the mint until you are ready to serve the cupcakes.
My kids helped me make the little carrots and absolutely loved these cupcakes!
If you’re looking for the silicone flower pot molds, I found them in the Easter isle at Target. They come in a cupcake kit. Or you can get them here on Amazon.com.
Carrot Patch Chocolate Dirt Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and pudding mix in large bowl and pour into baking cups. Make sure there is enough room for the cake to rise. Fill cups about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, shape the Starburst candy into carrot shapes. Use a knife to mark the edges of the candy to look like a carrot.
- Poke a toothpick through the top of the candy to make a hole for the mint.
- Removed cooled cupcakes from original pan and place into small plastic flower pots.
- Scoop out the top part of a cupcake.
- Add a spoonful of chocolate frosting onto each cupcake. Make our favorite chocolate frosting (directions here) Or use canned frosting.
- Make the “dirt” by sprinkling the top part of the cupcake onto the frosting.
- Pat it down gently with your finger to fit inside of the pot.
- Add your candy carrots to the cupcake. Insert a sprig of mint into the candy and enjoy!
Originally published March 19, 2012 – updated February 2023