A mouthwatering easy barbecue ribs recipe with blackberry sauce. A blend of sweet and tangy flavors that make the perfect pork dish for the grill.
Best Barbecue Ribs with Blackberry Sauce
I had to share this amazing barbecue ribs with blackberry sauce recipe that my friends made for us.
Summer is the best time for backyard grilling and taking a break to enjoy some BBQ ribs with friends. This is an easy recipe that makes grilling ribs for beginners a piece of cake!
I rarely cook barbecue ribs, because I haven’t found a sauce that I really love. But after trying these melt in your mouth ribs, now I’m hooked!
Fresh blackberry barbecue sauce is very simple to make and creates a blend of sweet and tangy flavors that will make you say mmmm! I’ve made Coke Barbecue Sauce before, but never blackberry until now.
Whether you make ribs or not, you have to try the sauce! It would be amazing on chicken as well.
How Do You Make Blackberry Barbecue Sauce?
Blackberry barbecue sauce is simply made by blending the fruit with honey, fresh ginger, brown sugar and ketchup in a food processor.
You’ll love the blackberry, fresh ginger and honey combination over the salty meat. I you like spicy food, be sure to add your favorite hot sauce.
What is the Best Way to Cook Pork Ribs?
My friends smoked their ribs for several hours, so these photos here were taken of those juicy smoked ribs.
Since I don’t have a smoker or the time, my recipe below is for a regular grill or gas grill. I highly recommend smoking your ribs if you can!
FUN TIP: Don’t have a smoker? You can add wood chips to a regular grill for the same smokey flavor.
How Long Do You Grill Pork Ribs?
Wondering how long grilling pork ribs will take? Depending on the heat of your grill, your pork ribs for this recipe should take about 1½ hours. It’s worth the wait to have the juiciest fall off the bone ribs!
What Side Dishes Go with Ribs?
I’m very thankful for friends who are great cooks! I’m always there to take photos and share with you. Here are more easy side dishes you might love!
Side Dishes for Barbecue Ribs
- 10 Easy Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- American Flag Vegetable Tray
- Corn and Avocado Salad Recipe
- Baked Chicken Greek Salad with Avocado
- Cajun Caviar Dip Recipe
- Easy Fruit Salad
I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe as much as me!
Barbecue Ribs with Blackberry Sauce
- 5 pounds Pork Spare Ribs
Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Blackberries
- ¼ cup Honey
- ⅓ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- Salt to Taste
- Make the sauce by combining blackberries, honey, ketchup, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until blackberries are smooth.
- Pour into a sauce pan and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally about 10-12 minutes until the sauce thickens. You can also microwave on high for about 8 minutes.
- Place ribs on an outdoor grill over indirect heat, meat side up and turn as needed until well browned for 45-50 minutes. Keep the grill lid closed.
- Baste the top of the ribs with half of the sauce. Turn ribs over and cook about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Baste top of ribs with remaining sauce, turn over and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve with fresh blackberries.
- For indirect heat, build the fire on one side of the grill so that one side is hot and the other isn’t. On a gas grill, light only one burner.
- For a spicier sauce add your favorite hot sauce.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce
Originally published July 2013. Updated 2022
Recipe inspired from the Sauceless in Seattle recipe by Dan Peters.
Originally published on July 1, 2022. Last Updated on July 1, 2022 by Amy Locurto