This EASY Instant Pot Potato Soup recipe is the perfect quick and easy meal. With a pressure cooker, you’ll have dinner ready in minutes. It’s one of the BEST recipes you can make in your Instant Pot. Best of all, this simple Loaded Baked Potato Soup only takes 10 minutes to cook!
Easy Instant Pot Potato Soup
This Instant Pot Potato Soup is the best quick and easy hearty dinner! You won’t believe how quickly you can make soup in your Instant Pot!
Anytime is the perfect time for loaded baked potato soup, one of our favorite comfort foods.
Whether it’s cold or hot outside, now is the PERFECT time to use your pressure cooker. If you don’t have one, then add it to your wish list.
I have the 8 quart Instant Pot and it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread! I am not kidding, you won’t believe how much time it saves!
Most of my favorite Instant Pot recipes are 10 minutes or less. No more frozen chicken nuggets on busy nights. You can literally dump a few ingredients in the pot, turn it on and have a great hot homemade meal in minutes.
Since I love any kind of potato soup and pretty much all recipes with potatoes, one of my new favorites to make is Instant Pot Potato Soup. We turn ours into loaded baked potato soup and wow, it’s so good!
It takes time for your Instant Pot to heat up, but once it gets going, it’s only 10 minutes until your soup is ready to eat!
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try:
- Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork only takes 5 minutes of prep time!
- Instant Pot Banana French Toast Recipe
- How to cook frozen chicken breasts in an Instant Pot
Share Your Potato Soup Photos
I’m happy to say this delicious potato soup recipe has been made by thousands of people! I love seeing your soup photos.
Have you made this Instant Pot Potato Soup recipe?
This Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe was originally published January 4, 2017
How Do You Make Instant Pot Potato Soup?
The Instant Pot just made this a quick and easy weeknight meal for us. WINNING! I think it took longer to peel the potatoes than to cook the soup.
Overall this recipe is super easy and you can mix and match the toppings to your liking.
Can I Make this Potato Soup if I Don’t Have an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can make this in your slow cooker or stove top as well. I’ve got alternate directions for this method in the recipe box below.
If making this potato soup in your Crock Pot, cook on low for 5-6 hours. No Instant Pot? Check out these 60 Delicious Crock Pot Recipes for dinner.
How Long Does it Take to Make Soup in an Instant Pot?
This recipe only takes 10 minutes to cook, but your Instant Pot will take some time to pre-heat, just like an oven.
The preheating time varies by pressure cooker brand, but expect an additional 5-10 minutes before the soup starts to pressure cook.
Overall this soup recipe takes about 20-25 minutes total time.
Can I Freeze this Potato Soup for Later?
This recipe was made for an 8 qt Instant Pot, so it does make a large amount of soup. I’ve been asked if left over Baked Potato Soup can be stored in the freezer and I don’t see why not?
Tip for Freezing Soup: If you plan to freeze this soup, I would recommend cutting the potatoes into larger chunks and freezing a portion immediately after cooking.
The longer the potatoes are in the liquid, they tend to thicken and turn into mashed potatoes. Add more broth or milk if this happens and it will still taste amazing and be less thick.
What do you do when your Instant Pot Potato Soup comes out too thin?
This soup calls for six cups of chicken broth, plus milk as an added option for more liquid. I have made this recipe many times and never has it come out too thin. It will often be so thick that I have to add milk.
If your soup becomes too thin for your liking, here are some options for you:
1. Let it simmer with the Instant Pot lid off for 10-15 minutes by clicking the “keep warm” button. This soup often gets thicker as it rests without the added condensation from the lid being on the pot.
2. Add a starch to thicken the soup. Use flour or cornstarch – either will work.
Scoop a large spoonful of soup and place into a small bowl. Whisk 1 tablespoon of starch into the bowl until mixed well. Whisking prevents clumping and helps it dissolve into the soup evenly. Add this mixture back into the soup and wait a few minutes to see how thick the soup becomes.
If you need the soup thicker, repeat the process until you get the desired thickness.
What Else Can You Make in an Instant Pot?
This creamy and warm cheesy baked potato soup is sure to be a new hit recipe in your house. Not only is it super simple, but also gluten free.
Eat this delicious soup alone, with crackers or pair it with your favorite sandwich.
Not a soup fan? Try some of my other favorite Easy Instant Pot Dinner Recipes:
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- Crazy Good Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Best Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Ground Turkey Spinach Instant Pot Lasagna
- How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Masala
3 Must have Gadgets for Your Instant Pot
If you are new to the Instant Pot, here are a few things you will want to have:
- Extra Instant Pot Sealing Rings – These get stinky after a while and hard to clean. Believe me, you’ll be glad you have extras!
- A Glass Lid – This comes in handy and I sure wish it came with our Instant Pots!
- Inner Cooking Pot -This is a smaller pot that fits inside of your Instant Pot. It’s great for making dishes you want to make several dishes or bake something to give it a crispy topping.
Soup lovers enjoy a gift!
Before you print my Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe, I want to give you a free gift! To help you stay organized, enjoy a free weekly planner printable to help you plan out your week.
I love planning my dinners for the week ahead of time. It just makes busy weeknights so much easier when there is a plan. Click the button below for your gift and make sure to put “Instant Pot Potato Soup” on the to do list!
How to Make 10 Minute Instant Pot Potato Soup
I hope you enjoy one of our favorite family dinner recipes! It’s perfect for a cozy night in and pot luck parties for anytime of the year!
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 5 pound bag of potatoes, peeled
- 1 large shallot minced (or 3 tablespoons minced onion)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 cups milk depending on how thin you want your soup
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits heated (optional)
- 1 green onion chopped for garnish optional
- Cut each potato in half and then half again making 4 pieces, add to the pot.
- Add the minced shallots and pour enough chicken broth in the pot to cover the potatoes.
- Seal the Instant Pot lid and cook on manual or soup setting for 10 minutes. (plan for 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to pre-heat)
- Once the timer goes off, turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and gently mash the potatoes with a potato masher or large fork. You can also cut through them with a knife for chunkier pieces of potatoes.
- Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, and blend to the consistency you like best.
- Add milk to the soup and stir enough in until you get your desired soup thickness.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add bacon bits to a small glass bowl and heat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until crunchy.
- Mix all of bacon bits into the potato soup, or use as a topping.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.
Connect WITH AMY at Living Locurto!
Follow us on social media, so you never miss a post.
You’re also invited to join our fun Facebook group! CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
You Might Also Like These Easy Instant Pot Recipes!
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken is delicious!
- Easy Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip baked in only 10 minutes!
- This Instant Pot Lasagna is amazing!
- Easy Instant Pot Banana French Toast