This easy chocolate braid is warm gooey chocolate baked inside of a tasty crescent puff pastry. An easy almond topped chocolate braid recipe for brunch, breakfast, or school party!
Have you ever made a dessert then eaten the whole thing yourself? Well, this Chocolate Braid will no doubt be one of those recipes!
Puff pastry filled with warm gooey chocolate and topped with almonds and sugar, makes this chocolate braid dessert hard to resist.
It tastes like the best chocolate croissant you’ve ever eaten! If your family loves chocolate like mine does, you’ll want to double or triple this recipe.
After my mother passed away, I was brought so many lovely meals from my sweet friends. Mandi, our creative director and all around best cook here at Living Locurto, brought over this amazing puff pastry dessert. I seriously almost ate it all myself, but was nice and let my kids and husband eat some too!
Of course before eating it, I had to snap some photos so I could share this recipe with you. You should have seen my kids drooling over it as I tried to take very fast photos. ha!
This delicious chocolate braid is super easy to make and will be the hit of any party, brunch, school or sporting event.
You can print the recipe for this Chocolate Braid Puff Pastry Dessert below, but since it was kind of hard to describe, I also made a graphic. This illustration makes for easy to follow visual instructions.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. Thanks again Mandi for getting me hooked on this delicious chocolate treat!
How to Make a Chocolate Braid
Watch this step-by-step video for instructions or print the recipe below.
- 1 frozen puff pastry
- 4.4 oz chocolate bar (semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 2-4 tablespoons shaved almonds
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- parchment paper
- Place the frozen dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. After the dough has defrosted unroll it.
- Place the chocolate bar in the middle of the dough.
- Make cuts along the edges of the dough. (See graphic on blog post for more detail.) Make as many cuts along the sides as you want, just make sure to have the same amount on each side.
- After cutting 6-8 strips of dough on the sides, you are ready to braid.
- Fold the top and the bottom ends over the chocolate first, then cross the side strips over each other to make the braid.
- Brush the braid with an egg wash you can make with one beaten egg and a splash of cool water.
- Bake the pastry according to the package directions.
- Remove the braid before it gets golden brown.
- top with almonds and then place back into oven until golden brown.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve while it is still warm and gooey!
You might also love these chocolate recipes: