School is out! Guess who is home all day for the next two weeks?
Yes, my almost 6 year old kindergartener! He’s crazy and loud. A typical boy who has a ton of energy. Believe it or not, I am really looking forward to taking some time off work to hang out with this wild little thing. Let me tell you a few reasons why.
1. He’s pretty much a hoot to be around. Last week, I heard him yelling at the TV when a cartoon character on Noggin was singing a song about the earth making the flowers. “Mom! They’re lying! The earth doesn’t make the flowers, God does!”
2. He just lost one of his top front teeth and looks so cute with 3 missing teeth. I can’t believe his top teeth are already coming out!
3. He is really excited to help me decorate our gingerbread house, which I’m obsessed with now. I can’t wait to show you photos!
4. He’s the perfect age for Christmas. It will be magical to him. He understands the story of Jesus, plus he still thinks Santa can fit down the chimney.
5. He’s old enough to keep his little sister entertained. Even though there is usually a lot of screaming involved.
I may go a little crazy while he’s home too, but when I do, I’ll try to remember what a sweet little boy I am blessed with to mold and shape into a wonderful young man.
We passed out some of the toys from our toy drive this weekend. My awesome friend Kimberly and her family came too. People were lined up, many with up to 7 children, to pick up toys.
Our boys were very happy to help. It made my heart melt watching them get excited to give away toys.
None of them asked if they could have one either. Shocking!
The best was when they handed the bag of gifts over to the mother who would then give these to her own children. Seeing the parent’s happy faces made us all so proud!
Even the little ones helped out.
We passed out over 200 presents to 67 families that day. Willow Creek Fellowship will do this again 2 more times before Christmas.
Not only was Willow Creek passing out toys, but also giving free music lessons to community children. As we were leaving a few members were going to deliver 200 gift bags to nursing home residents. This was all done in just a few hours, the people of this church never rest. I was totally in awe and motivated to do more for others. As we handed out toys, I thought about how little of my time this took and how many people were affected by this. After being apart of this giving day, I really hope I don’t go back into the hustle and bustle of doing things just for me. I want to make time to help my community. I’m not sure what I will do next. Whatever it is, I hope it will benefit others in some meaningful way.
Right now I’m going to focus on my little boy and hope that he grows up with a giving and serving heart.
We did make it just in time for his basket ball game that afternoon where he scored the team’s first basket of the season!! (he’s on the far right with his hands in the air.)
We ran around like crazy that day. I crashed and burned by 8pm, but in the end, it was all worth it. There were over 200 children that were given a bit of joy and that makes me smile:-)